Friday, February 17, 2012

It's Just Life

A week or so ago, I wrote about one thing people can do to take charge of our lives and behavior: to evaluate the stories we tell, and choose to tell and re-tell only the stories that serve us - and the rest of the world - well. (For example: We matter.)

Today I saw a video that reminded me of another thing said in our coaching seminar:
We do well to accept that life is difficult - that we are not entitled to an easy life.

Life used to be more challenging, our seminar leader said. Folks had to drag water from the water hole, etc. When our lives are relatively easy (with drinking water available from any number of faucets in the house!) our resilience suffers.

After describing the earthquake in Haiti, the terror of it, and the need to fashion a shelter from leaves and clothing, the woman in this video says, "The hard things that happened aren't 'difficulties.' It's just life as I see it."

I can't get that line out of my head . . . . That's probably a good thing; I know it is one of the stories that could serve me well. (Along with: "We are strong," and "We are not afraid to work." The woman in this video is wonderful.)

Take a few minutes to let this Haitian woman inspire you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment